We’re now nine games into our five-player SeaFall campaign and I thought I’d jot down some (as non-spoilery as possible) thoughts on how things are playing out:
- Oh my god, does this game sprawl, especially with five of us playing. If we weren’t so close to a potential end, I’d be constructing storage solutions and stands for everything that needs to be close at hand during the game, but is still only used occasionally. That being said, I may do so anyway just for the sake of my own sanity.
- Despite the sprawl, I can’t imagine playing with a smaller group. I’m sure it’s a lot of fun and potentially tighter paced, but it’s just awesome to see the variety of stories unfolding as each nation forges its way West.
- The story developing is interesting and I like piecing together small pieces of information to figure out what’s going on. Though finding things clearly out of order can be a little frustrating.
- Unlocking two chests in the same game, especially when one is a major game changer, is … interesting. I don’t know that I’d recommend it, as we barely had time to consider one pretty damn interesting story development before it was overshadowed by another one that was more impactful on game play.
- Being in the lead sucks mid-campaign. Being in the lead by a dangerously small amount as we approach the end is worse. Games 8 and 9 let me pull ahead a little but I’m not sure if it’ll be enough.
- We’re not seeing much movement, if any, in the standings. As we near the end, I’m worried that we’ll finish the overall campaign in the same positions as if we’d ended the game after the first session.